From the Landsat mosaics, the classifications that result in land cover and land use maps are carried out for each year. Within the logic proposed by MapBiomas the maps will be updated every time there is an improvement in the classification algorithms. The classification methodology is dynamic and procedural, with the purpose of improving the classification of each typology.
Here you can access the coverage and land use maps organized by bioma and per year.
Important: when composing a single mosaic or calculating statistics on maps it should be noted that:
- For area calculation it is necessary to use an appropriate metric projection.
- The limits of Biomes until Collection 4.0 were adapted by the original scale project published by the IBGE from 1: 5,000,000 to 1: 1,000,000 from the Territorial Boundaries Maps of Brazil 1: 250,000 (IBGE) and phytophysiognomies 1: 1,000,000, also of IBGE. Since Collection 4.1. the new limits of Biomes on 1:250.000 scale produced by IBGE and published in 2020. The Shape des Boundaries is available for download along with reference maps.
- All data is in GeoTiff format and has LZW compression. To get the reference of the codes with the caption classes go to: https://mapbiomas.org/en/downloads_codigos?cama_set_language=en
- The RGB color palette of each class is available in the file, and also in ArcMap and QGIS.
The most current MapBiomas Collection can always be accessed in five alternative ways:
1. browse online through dodashbard: https://platform.mapbiomas.org
2. download of maps by year and biome in the mapbiomas platform (see below): https://mapbiomas.org/colecoes-mapbiomas-BR
3. donwload by state, biome, municipality and any other desired geometry using the GEE toolkit which is a graphical interface to select the geometry / territory and the year you want to download without having to worry about codes - this video tutorial explains how to use the toolkit. Instructions are also available on Github.
4. access to data asset in Google Earth Engine: ID: projects / mapbiomas-workspace / public / collection4_1 / mapbiomas_collection41_integration_v1
5. direct access to QGis through PlugIn: (We are also preparing a plugin for ArqGis).
Here you can download the maps for each year by Biome.